Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Moths ''Heron's Daughter'' (UK Folk 1969)

01. I Am Lonely (Jansch)
02. The Heron (Ellis)
03. Travelling Song (Jansch)
04. I Shall Be Released (Dylan)
05. Phantasmagoria In Two (Buckley)
06. Empty Pocket Blues (Clive Palmer)
07. Running From Home (Jansch)
08. A Stupid Song (Ellis)
09. Dreams Of Love (Jansch)
10. Be My Friend (David Ackles)



John Dunn (member of Moths):
I have a 12" LP of the unreleased album we recorded on 23 June 1970. The Kissing Spell label must have got hold of one of the other copies- I think we had about a dozen done- and run off KSCD 9470-f "Heron's Daughter" from it, very shoddily as there is an uncorrected record-needle jump on the first track. The CD is dated 1994 and says MCPS, which is the body which collects and distributes royalties! I'll take a cheque, thanks very much!

I was the bass guitarist of The Moths. I was a second-year undergraduate at Hull University at the time, and I think all of the others were too. We didn't do very many gigs, but unexpectedly were offered some recording time in the studio at the University's theatre building.

John Ellis - vocals & guitar
Mike Jones - vocals & guitar
John Dunn - vocals & bass
Neil Cawley - flute
John Beazer - bongos

The album was recorded in the Gulbenkian Centre, Hull University, England, 23
June 1970 and transferred to disc by Deroy Sound Service of Carnforth,
Lancashire. We recorded two of John Ellis's songs, plus others by Bert Jansch,
Dylan, Tim Buckley, David Ackles and Clive Palmer from the original Incredible
String Band.

I Am Lonely (Jansch) - vocal, JE (with MJ)
The Heron (Ellis) - JE.
Travelling Song (Jansch) - MJ (with JE)
I Shall Be Released (Dylan) - JD (with MJ)
Phantasmagoria In Two (Buckley) - MJ
Empty Pocket Blues (Clive Palmer) - JE
Running From Home (Jansch) - MJ and JE
A Stupid Song (Ellis) - JE
Dreams Of Love (Jansch) - MJ and JE
Be My Friend (David Ackles) - MJ

That's my hesitant singing on "I Shall Be Released", plus my bass guitar on all
the tracks except "Running From Home". I enjoyed the gigs, but the recording was
not pleasant. I banged my head as I went in, and did the recording in a state of
mild concussion. On listening to the album, I realised that my bottom E bass
string was flat, which makes listening to my solo on "Be My Friend" a rather
embarrassing experience. The only one of us with any recording experience was
Neil, who had played flute (pseudonymously) on a couple of early Ralph McTell
tracks. John Beazer was the contact with Deroy's Sound Service and had an
impressive collection of LP's he'd played on - all pressed by Deroy's. I'm sure
I've got a practice tape of "The Heron" (recorded in Hull University kitchen)
but I'll have to search for it. I haven't seen or heard any of the other members
since I graduated in 1971. I put the word out on the Hull alumni website and
magazine, to try to contact them, but with no success. An American guy from a
mail order company says he'll finance another CD if I can find some other
members. I'm tempted to use some of my fellow Norwich hacks instead ! Most of
them are still living in 1970 anyway. I've done a lot of things since then
(including singing a Gregorian chant with my wife and 2 daughters on TV's "Time
Team") but I still remember fondly my time with the Moths.

Also published at: ilXor.com

Download (re-post)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god!! I have searched for this particular album for eons!! Bless you bless you bless you!! Actually you have many many albums that I have been interested in for years! What a great site. I have been looking for you for a long time.. glad I finally found you. Cheers, Steve

28 June, 2006 05:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, you're incredible! Thank you kindly for the request. I've only heard a few tracks off of this release a long time ago and loved them- I really do appreciate the post.

28 June, 2006 06:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have Extradition - Hush?

28 June, 2006 07:40  
Blogger Lizardson said...

samples from Extradition'Hush'

http://meditations.jp/ram/01035_1.ram
http://meditations.jp/ram/01035_2.ram
http://www.wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=12351&starttime=0:54:29

I can show you only these ram file links.

28 June, 2006 12:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd see this album. Though I have read about it in the past I have heard nothing from it. Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to get such a rarity. Cheers.

PS. Great site, by the way, and a great selection of sounds. Keep up the good work.

30 June, 2006 02:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH no! This file expired. I would REALLY like to download it. Could you possibly reload it?

Thanks for all the great music!

27 July, 2006 12:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, would love to listen to this record. Any chance it could be reposted?

I have discovered a whole new world of music thanks to you and your site! I love it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

20 September, 2006 12:29  
Blogger Lizardson said...

Here is

http://timospsychedelicious.blogspot.com/2006/07/moths-1969-herons-daughter-what-you.html#links

(Latimo's Psychedelicatessen blog)

20 September, 2006 13:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the rest, it's been a long time since I heard this, It haunted me, ghost of a friend, glad to see you again. beautiful

31 December, 2006 04:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, and thanks for this download - it's a lovely album. But... (there had to be a but, did it not?)... for some reaso, I get track 8 twice and no track 9. I've even downloaded it twice, with the same result. Could you please re-up the correct track 9? Cheers! Great blog, BTW!
Larry

27 May, 2007 23:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again. I thought I'd better clarify my problem. I do get a track 8 and a track 9. However, the music on track 9 is the same as on track 8 ("A stupid song"). So I would be grateful if you could post a track 9 that is actually track 9, i.e. the Bert Jansch track, Dreams of Love.
many thanks!
Larry

29 May, 2007 20:58  
Blogger UK folk junkie said...

As far as I can ascertain, as of right now there is not one single copy of this cd for sale anywhere in the world.

17 June, 2007 14:26  
Blogger Facundo said...

Very nice album. Just what i was loocking for. Thanks. Great blog.

20 June, 2010 11:15  
Blogger Unknown said...

thank you.

01 September, 2010 12:13  
Blogger Mike Jones said...

Hi Everyone, this is Mike Jones from The Moths. I have created a Facebook page for The Moths on http://facebook.com/themoths

Please get in touch with us there for more news. We have recently got back together and are doing some recording of new material.

All the best, Mike

09 January, 2012 02:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home

2006 - - - - - - 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2007 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2008 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2009 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2010 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2011 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2015 - - - - - 5 6