Saturday, October 20, 2007

John Killigrew

"Killigrew" 1971





















Barry Pritchard (The Fortunes):
I was introduced to John Killigrew around 2am one morning a year or two ago.
Through the haze of several pints I was invited to his house, something to do with football I recalled with difficulty the following morning. It turned out to be an invitation which I am eternally glad I accepted, for I found a songwriter of talent and a friend into the bargain.
John and his family have lived hard for a long time after illness, financial disasters and one hundred different jobs. His writing has the unmistakable quality of a man who's been down and back again. He says the simple things well and in 1971 that is refreshing. I believe John Killigrew, Listen to him and I think you will as well.

John Killigrew:
I would like to sincerely thank everyone involved in the making of this album especially Pete Dello.

01. Just A Line
02. Brand New World
03. Nothing's Impossible
04. Hold On Baby
05. Yesterday And You
06. Roverman
07. John Dupree
08. Got Your Number
09. You Don't Know What You've Got
10. Hey Mocking Bird
11. Do I Love You
12. Just The Way You Are

Produced by Pete Dello (Honeybus)
Sample pic: Click

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful record, really nice.
RIP John.
Greetings fron Felicia

21 October, 2007 02:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot!!

22 October, 2007 00:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a lovely slice of 70's soft rock, you can really hear the Pete Dello influence, thanks very much,
Does anyone know where we can get this on cd, apart from Japan?

23 October, 2007 04:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMHO - excerable.

Cliche on cliche with a undercurrent of pap inter-woven with minimal talent.

There's sometimes a reason why some records are obscure, in this case it's obvious.

Sorry to be negative and I do appreciate the upload effort but this is pooh!!!

Roger

23 October, 2007 05:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I couldn't believe how good this album is. It's got everything I like about the old folk-movement. Thanks a lot!!!

//Christian, Sweden

23 October, 2007 23:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this AWESOME album.

Juan

24 October, 2007 00:47  
Blogger Niall said...

Hi All, Would love to hear this LP if possible...............Great Site !!

Niall

28 August, 2009 09:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These songs Can be heard on a youtube site by, " catostreetnorth " although the sound quality is way below par, they can be heard again, and that's got to be a plus point, however, there is a good quality one on there, another song that john wrote and although this song was turned down by Cliff Richard, it was snapped up and recorded by Dutch singer " Franky Robinson, the song "Can't Help Talking About You " enjoyed chart success in holland & elseware in europe, it's well worth a visit just for that song alone, although it's a long time ago, it just shows what a talented singer songwriter John was back in them good old days. P.S. If anyone knows where i could buy a brand new copy of the vinyl 12" album or indeed a CD copy i'd be most grateful.

04 November, 2010 01:05  
Anonymous John said...

I worked with John at the BRS many years ago aand have am excellent copy of this Album on CD.
If anyone wants a copy please contact me.
John.

11 February, 2011 21:15  
Blogger sk8terman said...

Doreen, Johns wife sadly passed away in March 2012. will always be missed by Bernadette, Christine, Vickie, Joseph, Jessica, Megan, Molly and Meadow.

18 March, 2012 07:02  
Blogger Unknown said...

John was my uncle if you manage to see this please I'd love to have a copy as I've only got one of his records, I was 3 when he died so I don't have any memories of him but my mum Kathleen used to tell me about his singing, she was also a beautiful singer but she was also shy she sadly passed away 2012 she would have loved to have had a copy as I'm sure things disappeared when we moved around a few times as family grew

27 December, 2016 08:25  
Blogger harveyw said...

I heard this LP for the first time earlier this year, and it has become one of my favourites, certainly the best thing I've heard all year. Great songs, great voice, great arrangements. I've been trying to find out more about John, and this blog has been my only clue. Thanks for your message, Amanda. So sorry to read about his passing, and that of his wife & your mother.
I don't have a spare copy of the album, but I can certainly make you a CD copy if you get in touch. I am on harvey.williams@tiscali.co.uk

07 June, 2017 19:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home

2006 - - - - - - 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2007 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2008 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2009 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2010 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2011 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2015 - - - - - 5 6